Monday, November 22, 2010

Conrad Wolfram: Teaching kids real math with computers | Video on TED.com

Conrad Wolfram: Teaching kids real math with computers Video on TED.com

This particular talk caught my eye just as I was determining my next step in home education. Fai has lost interest in working out maths on paper and I have been biding my time till he once again shows the enthusiasm he showed before for calculating.
This talk has inspired me to take maths to a whole different level for him.
Let's see how he takes to it.

This brings to mind a time when the boys were lined up at the fence to check up on me. I was on the other side checking on fruits on the nangka tree and they came to see what mommy was up to.

Standing from right to left was Han, Ean and then Fai. This is what transpired next:

Fai ( taking a look at the lineup): No, no this is wrong! ( he then walked and stood to Han's right)
Now the lineup sequence was Fai, Han than Ean

Han (taking a look at the lineup) :No, no we must protect the baby! ( promptly pulling Ean back in the middle)

I think this shows that Fai is mathematically inclined and has a need to put things in sequence whereas Han is in protector mode, defender of the small and cute.

No comments: